Sunday, January 29, 2012

Worth the calories...

This morning my parents came to visit for brunch, which was the perfect way to spend my Sunday. I made homemade hash browns, bacon and spinach quiche, and of course I had to stop and get fresh Bruegger's bagels from around the corner. It was my first attempt ever at making a quiche, and with my dad being the tough food critic he is, I was definitely up for a challenge. Hate to brag, but it was darn good. I wanted to share the recipe because it's so easy and delish, and you don't have to be Wolfgang Puck for this to turn out amazing.


You will need:

-8 oz bacon
-1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie crust (frozen section)
-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
-3 tbspns all-purpose flour
-5 eggs lightly beaten
-1 1/2 cups half & half
-1/2 cup diced onion
-1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained of all water

Directions: 

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. 

-Let frozen crust thaw out for about 10-15 minutes. Poke holes in bottom and sides of crust and bake by itself for 5 minutes. Sprinkle bacon inside of crust. In a small bowl, combine Cheddar cheese and flour. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, cream, onion and spinach. Combine both mixtures; stir well. Pour mixture into pie crust. Garnish top with any leftover bacon crumbles.

-Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment