Thursday, January 12, 2012

To my little brother


Just heard this song and it made me think of one thing: when my little brother was a toddler and this was his favorite song and only knew the chorus. My friends are probably thinking that description sounds a lot like me now. His version went like this:

It's sumfin unpwedictable
In the end is right
I hope you have da tiiIIIiiime of yer lifeeee.

x 5,000

Joseph, you will be 18 in less than a month and not only do you know all the words to this song, but you can play it on the guitar perfectly. Even though I get on your nerves probably more than you get on mine, we will always be pals. However, I will always need to borrow some sweat pants when I'm home, and will always ask you to be my slave and get me something to drink whenever I'm thirsty. At 23, I am still not above being completely helpless the second I plop down on the couch. The dirty looks may stop eventually, but I wouldn't count on it. And I will probably always punch your arm with my bony knuckles every time I walk by you. Get used to it. 


BUT

I am proud of you and hope your are proud of yourself. Most importantly I don't ever want you to think you aren't good enough for whatever life has to offer. It's all yours if you want it badly enough. Please know there aren't shortcuts to great things, and if going far in life were easy, everyone would be doing it. Be that leader that mom always instilled in us, and never get mad at the obstacles that get in the way. Learn to embrace them and know that those are the moments that define us. You will be challenged and hurt at times, but it's important to get back up and dust yourself off. Always offer a hand, even to your worst enemy, and expect nothing in return. It's not about what you get, it's about what you give. And lastly, in all things you do, no matter who you're with or where you are, I hope you have the time of your life.

Love,
your big sister

No comments:

Post a Comment