Thursday, February 18, 2010

in order to succeed...

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

This has always been one of my favorite quotations. I think we all have at one point questioned the meaning of success in an effort to define ourselves and how we may or may not fit into that category. As we venture on through each chapter of life, we wonder how success can be applicable to our own lives, no matter how old we are. We wonder just how good of a job we have done at living. Whenever I have uncertainties about this roller coaster we call life, I reflect back on this little spoonful of inspiration and remember that it's not about what or how much I can take with me along the way, but instead what I can leave behind when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment