Friday, February 12, 2010

Rise and shine...

It's Friday morning, no class today; just me and a hot cup of coffee sitting in my big fabulous bed with the covers pulled up to my chest and the sun shining brightly through my blinds. It's a little chilly in my room seeing as to how our apartment is five million years old (but don't worry, newly renovated) and my room is farthest away from the heating/air conditioning unit. It's very quiet in my apartment, which is nice. I like to just lay in bed some mornings and look around my room and think. I don't get to do that much anymore, but this morning got to be one of those mornings. In general, like many people, I have ten thousand competing factors in my life each day that take up ALL of my time. So, as I sit here in my bedroom just pondering life--no big deal--I am thinking about a few things:

I miss my family. I miss waking up to breakfast and the sounds (yes even my dad's big mouth) of our household in the morning. When I go home over break, these sounds usually consist of both my parents trying to wake up my little brother for school for approximately 45 minutes; which eventually are not the most pleasant forms of communication from both ends, our yappy little dog Lilly getting excited even when someone just takes a look at her leash, Matt Lauer rambling from the living room TV on the Today Show, and of course coffee brewing and my favorite, mom's professional egg scrambling abilities steady at work. Oh, and how could I forget my dad's loud mouth going on about God only knows what. Usually all of this takes place at around 7 a.m. which, when you are home from school on break with one sole objective in mind- that being to sleep in, you don't find ANY of this to be delightlful. Instead, I usually stomp to the living room, dirty look on face, where all of my jolly family members remain (minus my brother who still lays in bed angry that his light is now on in an effort to wake him up), and plop down on the couch with my arms crossed. My dad, who, unlike myself, is quite the morning person, will usually cheerfully ask me a question or try to engage in some kind of conversation with me. The usual response he gets from me is "I don't knowww" no matter what the question is in the grumpiest voice you have ever heard. And then he replies "Wow. Go back to bed." After 21 years, you would think he would know by now I hate to talk when I first wake up. Of course, before going back to bed I wait for breakfast. I wake up starving no matter what time it is, and literally cannot fall back asleep because my stomach hurts so badly. So, at least I get some food out of all this.

While away at school, I find myself missing those mornings the most. I miss my dad purposely bumping into me in the hallway as I bitterly make my way to the kitchen. I miss the smell of perfume and freshness in the bathroom after my mom gets ready for work. I miss Lilly barking and being so excited to go out for a walk. I miss all of our pets, including our two cats, surrounding me while I eat because they know I am such a good sharer. I find myself waking up some mornings, cooking breakfast, and putting on the Today show in my living room at my apartment. I do enjoy this show a lot, but I think more than anything it just makes me feel more at home. No matter where I end up in life, I will always remember those mornings at home. They are not something I appreciate when I am at home, in fact, i'm sure even next time I go home my feelings on all of the commotion in the LoFrese household at the butt-crack of dawn will remain loyal to what they always have been. Nonetheless, I will always remember and miss those mornings for the rest of my life. And I will chuckle to myself when I have children who are home from college and complain about being woken up by their annoying family, and tell them that one day-just maybe- they might miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment